10 Nights | 11 Days
- Deluxe, outfitted mid-high altitude trek
- camping in remote awe-inspiring meadows with different varieties of wildflowers
- Starts your trek from the winter home of the rare black-necked cranes
- Cultural touring and sightseeing in 4 different districts of Bhutan; visit ornately carved, splendidly painted ancient Buddhist monasteries, Dzongs (fortress-monasteries) and more…
This trek begins from Phobjikha Valley, one of the few glacial valleys, the winter home of the rare endangered black-necked cranes that arrive from the Tibetan plateau in mid November and stay in the soft marshy wetland center of the valley through March. The trail passes through meadows and fields then continues through forests of small bushes of daphne, colorful magnolia and rhododendron crossing two passes at 3400 meters /11,152 ft, before reaching the beautiful villages of Gogona and Khotokha. The last day of the trek is particularly beautiful during the months of April and May as the spring flowers and rhododendrons provide an explosion of colour. The last stretch of the trail goes through a semi-tropical forest, orchids and unknown creepers and continues past neatly maintained paddy-fields, orange trees and pretty farm houses of the Sha Valley.
Most of our trips take place during busy and festival season so it is difficult to secure reservations on Druk Air and Hotels in every places. We request you to book as far in advance as possible to confirm the reservation you choose and do not hesitate to contact us at the last minute if free time suddenly comes your way.
11 Day Moderate Touring & Rigorous Trekking
|Trip Duration||11 days|
|Trekking Days||3 days|
|Trekking Grade||Easy – Moderate|
|Season||January to June & September to December|
|Min. Group Size||2 participants|
- Day 1: Arrival in Paro by Druk Air
- Day 2: Paro to Punakha
- Day 3: Punakha sightseeing
- Day 4: Punakha to Gangtey/Phobjikha Valley
- Day 5: Gangtey/Phobjikha to Gogona (Distance: 15 km; Time: 6 – 7 hours)
- Day 6: Gogona to Khotokha (Distance: 16 km; Time: 6 – 7 hours)
- Day 7: Khotokha to Chuzomsa/Wangdi (Distance: 12 km; Time: 5 hours)
End of the Trek
- Day 8: Wangdi to Thimphu
- Day 9: Thimphu sightseeing
- Day 10: Thimphu to Paro
- Day 11: Depart by Druk Air
Choosing a Trek by Trip Rating
Anyone who do not have problem with all day hike should find our easy treks manageable and anyone with backpacking experience with good shape generally should have no trouble with a difficult trek.
Trekking Grade: Moderate-Easy
Physically more challenging and more suited to regular hill-walkers who are used to extended days and who are competent over difficult terrain. The trek involves several days of camping at high altitudes.
Moderate Touring with Moderate to Strenuous Trekking Adventure
Trekking (with only a light daypack) 4-7 hours per day over varying terrain.
2 nights tent camping during trek and 9 nights in best available hotels and resorts on double occupancy basis with private bath
Our selected hotels and restaurants offer delicious Chinese, continental, Bhutanese and Indian Cuisine. On trek, well trained cooks prepare dishes suitable to western taste ranging from Continental to Chinese and Bhutanese to Indian.